- year : 2021
- country : Russia
- timing : 29:54'
- genre : fiction film
- producer : Alexey Postnov
written by Alexey Postnov, Anna Weilert
produced by Ekaterina Ushakova
DoP Sergey Moskvin
music by Arsen Baderkhan
sound by Anton Kryzhanovsky
editor Aleksey Postnov
production designer Galina Gofenschefer
cast: Feia Zou, Artem Chernov, Alexander Fokin, Shun Zhang, Lia Gao
production company: High Courses for Scriptwriters and Film Directors (HCFDS)
A flight attendant from China, Zhang Yu, arrives in Moscow, a city with a different culture, with a different language. Yu clearly knows that the career of a flight attendant is not for her, she sees the world differently, not like everyone else, but her father — a pilot, who arranged for her to work in this area — refuses to understand this. The whole world is filled with noise and misunderstanding. The only person who will understand her is Ian, a photographer who listens to the world through a hearing aid and therefore also has difficulties with communication.
- Short Shot Fest International Short Film Festival from Moscow (2021, Russia, Moscow)
- Moscow Shorts International Short Film Festival (2021, Russia, Moscow)
- KinoDUEL International Film Festival (2021, Russia, Moscow)
- KONIK Film Festival (2021, Russia, Moscow)
- Moscow International Film Festival "Let's Live" (2021, Russia, Moscow)
- Silver SCAD Film Festival, Best Actor Award (Artyom Chernov) (2021, Russia, Sevastopol)
- Radiant Angel International Charity Film Festival (2021, Russia, Moscow)
- New Harvest Film Festival, Grand Prix, Best Actress Award (Feiya Zou) (2021, Russia, Moscow)
- Pune Short Film Festival (2021, India, Pune)
- International Festival of Films and TV Films of Spiritual and Moral Content "Saint Vladimir" (2021, Russia, Sevastopol)
- International Film Festival «East&West. Classics and Avant Garde», Special Jury Mention (2021, Russia, Orenburg)
- International Student Film Festival "PeterKiT", Special Diploma (2021, Russia, St.Petersburg)
- International Festival of Films and TV Programs "Radonezh" (2021, Russia, Moscow)
- Video-art Festival "Black and White Rainbow", 1st place in the nomination "Short fiction film" (2021, Russia, Togliatti)
In the first years after receiving my primary education, I had the opportunity to work as an international representative of an airline. Once, during my business trip, a collapse occurred at the airport of a tourist city - at one point the planes simply stopped taking off, but the passengers continued to arrive. And a few hours later, the airport lobby was mired in chaos - thousands of people of all ages and nationalities tore their throats. Near the sobbing child, two Arab women were arguing, an elderly Englishman and an employee of a travel agency began to shout louder and louder, a German businessman in a jacket was angrily talking to someone on the phone, the airport manager was trying to gain at least some information from their colleagues. It was pure Babylon. And a couple was sleeping a little to the side, their heads on each other, listening to music through some headphones, the wire of which was pulled into the inner pocket of the man's vest. As if there was no all this confusion around. Probably, it was at that moment that the idea of the story was laid in my head, an idea which later turned into a script. Back then I couldn’t predict this outcome... A person always breaks through to another person. Even to the closest. Misunderstanding is aggressive. It's loud. When people try to reach out to each other, the tone rises. As if there is a thick layer of glass between them, or a Boeing engine is making noise nearby, and they are trying to shout it down, to shout to each other. Or as if there was a foreigner in front of them. Have you noticed that if a person tries to convey a thought to a foreigner, he starts speaking louder? It is the same with the deaf or hard of hearing. Some people get annoyed by them. Will it be of much use if you get annoyed with a hearing impaired person? In countries such as Russia and China (and especially in China), the frustration of misunderstanding is added to the fear of misunderstanding. Public opinion, the opinion of elders, standards, norms, stereotypes drown out the voice of one's own self.
In English there is a word - soulmate. In Russian, most often this word is translated as "second half", which does not reflect the content of this word at all. Soul - soul, mate - suffix denoting community (roommate, classmate) That is, this is a person who has a common soul with you. And it doesn't have to be a husband or wife, it can be any person. Another question is that it is very rare to actually meet your soulmate. But when such a person is found, all other misunderstanding becomes unimportant, it is already somewhere there, not here. One can feel unanimity even in silence. Therefore, in the midst of a loud misunderstanding, it is important not to lose yourself, and those who can understand you will only need to hear your breathing.
ABOUT THE FILM DIRECTOR:
Aleksey Postnov was born on 03.08.1989 in Orenburg, Russia. In 2011 graduated from Orenburg State University. Currently, he is а student of the Higher Courses of Scriptwriters and Film Directors.
2021 - "While thundering around", short student film \ diploma
2019 - "Break through", short film
2016 - "First of March", short film
2015 - "My Rock 'n' Roll", short film
2011 - "Carpe diem", short film